In the early 1700s, driven by economic and religious persecution, Scots-Irish Presbyterians fled to Pennsylvania in great numbers. They were encouraged by the invitation of William Penn, who promised freedom for all religions. Settling in great numbers along Deep Run Creek, they organized a congregation and erected a log house for worship on the site of the present day “Red School House”. This congregation was formally accepted by the Philadelphia Presbytery in 1732 as “Mr. Tennent’s Upper Congregation.” Mr. Tennent, of the Neshaminy Presbyterian Church, included Deep Run in his itinerant preaching route from Neshaminy to Red Hill.
In 1770, the much increased congregation erected the stone sanctuary at the west end of the graveyard. This structure included a balcony around three walls, entered by an outside staircase. After the War of Independence, testified by the graves of 22 Revolutionary War soldiers buried here, the congregation diminished. Some moved west for cheaper land and some moved toward the newly established Presbyterian Church in Doylestown (1813), with whom Deep Run was sharing a pastor.
By 1841, the old sanctuary was in a state of disrepair. Both congregations shared in the rebuilding of the Deep Run sanctuary, now know as the Old Irish Meeting House. They removed the unwanted balcony and outside steps and lowered the roof. The benches, sounding board (behind the lectern), and probably the flooring remain from the original building. In the Spring of 1991, the Irish Meeting House was carefully restored to assure safety and maintain historic value.
The Paul C. Payne building was dedicated in 1966, and the new sanctuary, a two story addition, in 1980. The new facility provided additional space for worship, church school classes, administration and fellowship.
The most recent project to update our facility was completed in May of 2002 when we dedicated a new fellowship hall, library, classrooms and remodeled office space.